Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Perth Graduation Trip -- Sixth Installment

Perth Graduation Trip -- Sixth Installment


Day 9: Caversham Wildlife Park, The Pinnacles Desert & Lancelin Sand Dunes


It was a loooongggg day. We woke up around 6.30am to get ready because we had to be at the bus station at about 8am. The tour agency got us in a four wheel-drive truck before transferring us to another tour bus (where we were the last to arrive and got shitty seats). I asked the girl beside me if she could exchange seats with OTS since she was alone and OTS's neighbour was alone too, but she told me she had motion sickness and needed to be seated near a window. Honestly. *rolls eyes*

Why do I always get to sit with weird and un-automatic people? Remember my school trip to Hong Kong back in 2006? I was placed with another girl from my lecture and I had the window seat and she was sitting beside me. When the plane took off, she leaned over to me soooo much to see what was outside the window. I asked her if it was her first time taking an aeroplane and she said 'Yes'. So I thought, why not let her take my seat because I had my fair share of window seats and it wasn't my first time to Hong Kong anyway. And so we exchanged seats and she certainly looked very happy BUT I didn't hear a word of thank you. Never mind that.

Then it was the flight back to Singapore. I was placed with - no surprise - her again. This time, she got the window seat. That night, Sze Ling and I had lots of things to talk about. So I asked my neighbour if she could exchange seats with Sze Ling. And guess what, she looked at me like I asked a stupid question and said, 'No, I don't think so. I have motion sickness and needed to be seated near a window.'

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly?! I didn't see you puking on the bus when we were going around Hong Kong? I didn't see you looking frail when you were sitting beside me? Neither did I see you with a single worried face that motion sickness might get you down? Isn't it such a fabulous excuse to use? Even better than just pretending to sleep! Why the fuck did I not remember her name!

My exact words in my older post dated in February 2006:
'i changed seats with a fellow female schoolmate who really looked damn desperate to devour my allocated window seat. i learned later on that it was her first time on an aeroplane. see, i'm such a nice person. i just let a girl had beautiful memories of her first time on a plane plus a bonus -- a window seat. but, she did not return my kindness'

See? I stand by my words.

Sometimes I just want a little of payback. Is that too much to ask for? *frowns*

Allright, enough of the past! For the first stop of the day, we headed to Caversham Wildlife Park to visit the kangaroos and wombats! Honestly, I'm little scared of animals. I do not go near them, let alone try to feed them. The only animal I have ever fed is Sudi, my boyfriend's cat. Even that took me about 2 years. I can water plants, but seriously, animals?!

With food clutched in my fists, the kangaroos gathered round us like flies to shit. At some point of time I thought they were like dogs, just that they were hopping. I hope you guys know just how afraid I am of dogs. Some gathered so quickly round my mother to the extent she tried to back off and was afraid to step on some kangaroos that were behind her, that she tumbled and fell! My mother! FELL!

You greedy kangaroos. You be thankful that my mother was unhurt and she was protected by the thick jacket OTS's mum lent her. If not, I will secretly.. run away.



They aren't that cute, are they? Seriously overhyped. In my later posts, you will see why kangaroos are life-threatening, I swear.



Now now, koalas and wombats are definitely much more interesting (and tamer). They either sleep or they eat. The wombat that I took a picture with happened to be sleeping, which was very good for me. I know, I could have skipped the photo-taking if I was really that afraid, but hey, we paid AUD$135 for that one-day trip and there must be a reason why the tour agency brought us to that zoo wildlife park right? I had to have evidence that I've been there, believe it or not. So, the photo-taking.

Those sneaky koalas. Right after I took a personal photo with them, one of them tried to sweep the top of my head with its hand, or paw, or leg and luckily I ducked fast enough. So what if you are the icon of Australia? That does not give you the right to sweep my already-very-weak-migraine-prone-head!

And, according to the rangers, koalas are not bears. Don't call them koala bears. They hate it.


What a compromising position the top koala is in



Okay la, I admit, quite cute


They drove us to a wildflower country shop to have lunch. When we arrived, I realised that there was no food on the table when I noticed that the driver was bringing out a huge box and then putting in on the table. Then he started bringing out boxes that contained salads, roast chicken, corn, a huge loaf of bread, hams, onions and all kinds of other food. We have to make our own sandwiches!

Another one hour's drive brought us to The Pinnacles Desert! The place my mother was dying to visit!


All shapes and sizes of rocks.. many of them dick-shaped, weathered by weather





Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them! Not applicable: my dad and OTS



OTS trying his hand at photography.. some decent shots, I must say





Do not be deceived by the photos.. it wasn't as warm as it looks! Notice we all had our jackets on?


Back to the bus, another one hour drive to Lancelin Sand Dunes, where we will experience sandboarding and hit the dunes in a four-wheel drive truck!


Very flat and white sand!


I was so bad at sandboarding, I tell you. I kept falling over and after the ride, I realised I had sand everywhere! On my cardigan, in my butt, in my shoes, my jeans, my hair, my face and even my mouth! Biting was exceptionally crunchy, haha! And climbing up was such a chore. It was worse than Great Wall of China. Not that I've been there, but you get my point. I had to use the sandboard and plop it deep into the sand in front of me so that I could use it and pull myself up one step before ploppin the board in front again and doing the same thing till I reached the top.



I just felt like rolling down the sand


The ride in the four-wheel drive was overhyped too. I thought the truck would go really fast when approaching the steep part of the slope but it was surprisingly and disappointingly slooooww. Maybe it was because we were the only younger folks in the truck? Sigh.



My hair is always everywhere.. no wonder OTS asked me to cut it away


And that sums up our one-day trip. We spent half the journey sleeping in the bus next to a stranger. -__-

Up next, my parents' last few days in Perth before OTS and I proceed down south -- Albany and Esperance!



No comments:

Post a Comment