I know of someone who is the kind that makes people feel uncomfortable the moment they open their mouth and speak. All they need to do is say 'hi' and they make or break a conversation.
This girl, let's call her Y. Met her at a neighbourhood ice cream shop when I was with Pei Juan and Steph when we locked eyes and I gave a (what I thought was very welcoming) wave and "Hi! Fancy meeting you here!". Right after this moment, I noticed her bulging stomach. Five months perhaps.
Response I got: "Hi." (Hasty, quick voice)
"Do I know you?" (She obviously does but trying to be cheeky)
I smiled and said, "It's fine then." That was my cue for the end of conversation. She sat down by the next table and said loudly across to me, "So how many kids you have now?"
That must be my cue for leaving. I looked Pei Juan and she shot me a dirty look. I scooped up my last two big mouthfuls of Earl Grey ice cream and unanimously, three of us (Pei Juan, Steph and myself) all stood up and we were preparing to leave.
"None. I'm not married."
"Har?! I thought you were married?"
"Nope."
"Where do you work now? As what? At where? What you doing here?"
"Work at Changi. What are you doing here?"
"I stay here what. You don't know meh?" (Serangoon Gardens what.)
"Do I know you?" I quipped.
Time to leave. This is one acquaintance I'd never ever want to meet again.
No comments:
Post a Comment