I'm very happy to announce that we have just entered yet another phase in our lives - getting a flat!
Our dating/family building sequence is slightly different from the couples in Singapore where they ballot for a flat first before considering marriage. I revise - that was a slightly sweeping statement. They briefly consider marriage before balloting for a flat.
I see balloting or applying for a flat a very serious issue - no room or money for mistakes. Tex is with me on this, hence we did it our way, with him initiating to propose, got registered before we decided to get a flat.
I see it like our little act of defiance against the strict regulations of Singapore government where citizens are so drawn into the movement of getting a house hence the registration of marriage. I don't think our little act can make a difference but it sure makes a difference to our insights and lives and that is enough. As Tex aptly puts it, "Yesterday I was clever so, I thought I could change the world. Today I am wise so, I will change myself."
So yeah, today our proxy has selected a small little hole for us and we are very happy to have finally closed in on one flat for our future! It's a 3-room premium flat, yes I know the popular choice nowadays is the 4-room flat and like much people who have suggested that we should have gotten a 4-room, Tex and I had our little discussions NUMEROUS times and still, we decided on a 3-room flat.
We thank all who have given their two-cents worth and I assure everyone we have seriously considered all your suggestions (hence the internal struggles 3-room or 4-room? TIMES 100 times). We weighed in on all possibilities and options, trust me, we even used up statistics options to help us reach a decision and I believe, this decision will serve us really well in future, in consideration of our lifestyle choices.
To infinity and beyond.
hello! stumbled across your blog from your OFTDs on livejournal - congratulations on getting your flat and doing it the unconventional way - guess it struck a chord with me because i am doing it the same way with the same mentality.
ReplyDeleteand as for your aussie PR - don't worry too much about it, now that you are married, it is much easier for both of you to get one together. i just got mine last year too through a defacto relationship :)
it's really nice to know that someone out there is going through the same experiences that i am here in spore and i hope that this isnt extremely weird :P
Hello! Replied to your email address! :)
Delete