Monday, February 04, 2013

Meet-The-Parents Dinner!

I would love to blog about our solemnisation but I thought this dinner was very meaningful to me and I would like to keep this event in virtual memory. :)

This was the first time both our parents came together for dinner and Tex and I were kinda nervous and apprehensive about it. Yes, no doubt, my parents visited Tex's Mom (now my mother-in-law) in Perth (and we even went on road trips together) and travelled together with Tex's Dad (obviously now my father-in-law) to Malacca, to meet all of them in one sitting can be quite nerve-wrecking.

Thankfully it turned out well. With my mother-in-law around, she is the topic-shooter who never, ever, runs out of things to say. I'm sure it was because of her, my parents felt more at ease and we, the younger generation, also felt less apprehensive and enjoyed the dinner tremendously.

Venue for dinner was Tex's pick - Beng Thin Hoon Kee (nope, not cigarette) Hokkien Restaurant as I really wanted to try authentic Hokkien fare, even though I am a true blue Teochew. I must say, all our picks the dishes turned out to be awesome!




Steamed Fish


Fish Maw Soup - Those who know me well who know I have a constant struggle with Sharks' Fin broth so this is the best compromise :)



Roast Chicken


Orh Luak!


Spinach with Wolfberries


Kong Ba Pau

Duck Salad


We were so full from all the food even though the set was for 6 pax and there were 7 of us! What goes on during a meet-the-parents session is subjective. Some may see it as a chance to meet up each others' parents before the wedding day and familiarise with each other since they are going to become relatives. For my family, my parents are slightly more traditional where they would like Tex's parents to give them a '交待' as to asking for my hand in marriage even though Tex has already asked them. =X

For that, I thank Tex's parents as they were very understanding and accomodating. And Tex's mum even went super old-school and asked "我的德順可以娶你的Melvina嗎?"

I think the moment she asked that, everyone was super embarrassed. Hahahaha!


Look like who leh? (No idea why the photos look so blur)


Tex & YT
 

The two Mums.


His family!


That's us!


The men.
 
 
The women!
 
 
Happy to be doing this with you. :)


♥♥♥

Although they were all slightly awkward during the first few dishes, it was still nice to see them chatting away at the end of the dinner.

Thankful for the opportunity that both sets of parents managed to mingle before the solemnisation! The ambience for the solemnisation definitely wasn't strange and everybody were already friends! :)

2 comments:

  1. such a touching entry babe!! :) so happy for u and it's important that both parents meet being relatives. i'm kinda nervous about mine that i don't dare to arrange anything yet hehe.
    once again, CONGRATS! Mel & Tex forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this! LOL! It can very quite nerve-wrecking! Just be yourselves and say a lot of "eat! eat! eat!". I think it's good to prep your own parents what to expect and what NOT to expect - lesser complications. Also important for everyone to know what the agenda of the dinner if for! If it's just a get-together, then just relax and eat!

      Delete