Wednesday, September 04, 2013

A Target Impossible To Achieve?

I have spoken to several persons regarding Tex and my new home's renovations. Ours is a 3-room flat and yes, the budget for that can afford to be smaller but many were sceptical about the budget we set for ourselves.

$10,000.

All in with furniture, electrical appliances and what-nots.

Too little? We'll see. It's a challenge we are quite entertained by - sourcing the cheapest and most value for money alternative to what the masses think. True, we may not be staying in the house for long hence that affected our budget (can afford to use lousier stuff). BUT, do you really need that 42 inch TV instead of a 32 inch one? Shrugs.

This is a project to see how bare we can live with (and without). This is also a project to see if we can still live comfortably without those things that we thought we couldn't live without. I'm testing my limits as well. Tex proposed last week that we should not have a water heater in the house. I was speechless. If any one needs me, I will be in my bed, face-palming.

But if you think about it, the weather in Singapore does not need you to have a water heater. It's a want VS a need. I want a water heater. I don't need a water heater. This week, he said that we should be able to afford one. Needless to say, I was relieved. However, I also realised by then, that, I think I can live without a water heater. That was surprising. His earlier proposition made me re-think about all the things I thought I couldn't live without. And made me appreciate them more.

This is Version 1 of the house - a budget challenge. We're pretty sure we are gonna renovate the house again in five years' time. That will be a space challenge.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment